Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 4, 2013

3 Toxic Habits in your Yoga Practice - Detox your Mat!

Spring is in the air!  A time of renewal and cleansing.  While we may be cleaning out our closets and participating in cleanses to restart our bodies - let's also bring our awareness to our mats. 

Although we try to come to the mat ready for a new experience, we all (myself included) can sometimes fall into habits on our mats.  Let's try to break free from routine habits that may be preventing our growth!

  1. Mat Placement!  Do you have "your" spot in the room?  Last week, I walked into a class and the only spot left was front center.  I cringed!  So far away from my beloved back row.  But I rolled out my mat and tried to go with the flow.  No lie, it took me awhile to acclimate to a new spot.  What I loved though is that by the end of the practice the new spot in the room also opened up a new perspective of myself and my practice.
  2. Presence!  I know that after attending a teacher's class for awhile, I may be more in tune with their cues.  Sometimes, I can even see it in the room when I am teaching that my student's know where I am going even before I say the name of the pose.  Those days then I intentionally change it up to get all of us out of the routine (face a new direction, use a prop or some other surprise!).  Definitely, being in harmony is great for group energy.  However, examine if ever so slightly are you rushing the poses?  Remember, the first one out of the pose doesn't get to leave class first :)  Really commit your presence to be in the pose before rushing to the next. 
  3. Speedy Savasana!   Savasana is the yummiest part of our practice.  Yes, some days there is a lot to do in a day and our mind cannot quiet.  But honestly, those days are when savasana is the most important.  We shut down and allow everything our lives time to rest - why not our bodies & minds.  Benefits of savasana are numerous, including, calming the brain, lowering blood pressure, relieves stress and mild depression and promotes deep relaxation.  
Next practice, start examining the habits of your practice.  What you are doing on your mat is a reflection of how you lead your life off the mat and can provide powerful opportunity for growth & change!  Awaken your practice and live life empowered!

No comments:

Post a Comment